We have heard about Bikram Yoga, Hot Yoga, Goat Yoga, and Forest Yoga. The modern Yoga world has witnessed a vast expansion of the yogic territory. With the increasing popularity of Yoga, the ancient science is getting modified day by day. And, now with the discovery of Beer Yoga, even the party animals are willing to embrace Yoga with a wink!
However, the question is what is Beer Yoga all about? A new inclusion in the kingdom of contemporary Yoga, Beer Yoga is the practice of learning the art of Yoga paired with the pleasure of drinking beer. Primarily seen as a fun activity, there is much more this Yoga style has to offer. While the Yoga asanas make the body physically fit, the beer acts as a complete mental freshener.
Origin of Beer Yoga
Although Yoga has been practiced under the influence of alcohol for quite some time, the term Bier Yoga (Beer Yoga) was first coined by Jhula and Emily, German yogis who got the idea at Burning Man cultural festival in America. Started in early 2014, the Bier Yoga studio states this art as a marriage of two great loves- Yoga and Beer on its website. They also proclaim that both are age-old therapies for the mind, body, and soul. The trend has become quite popular in countries like Australia and Thailand and is set to impress the Yoga-loving nations like India, USA, Vietnam, etc.
Poses of Beer Yoga
Beer Yoga poses hold close similarity with the traditional poses. One of the major differences is that unlike normal Yoga styles, the focus of the mind is on the beer bottle. Let’s talk about some of the poses of Beer Yoga:
- Downward Facing Drink Pose: The name feels familiar, isn’t it? Yes, this similar to the Downward facing dog with a can of your favourite beer below your face. You can add a straw to the can and take a sip or two.
- Hold my Drink Pose: This pose is nothing but Seated Spinal pose added with the fun and flavour of a beer bottle. One hand pushes the ground and the other holds the bottle.
- Chug Pose: The name itself is enough to make the beer-lovers fall in love with it. Seat in the chair position with the thigh parallel to the ground and feet properly holding the mat. Now chug your favourite brand for the time you are in that pose.
- Tipsy Dancer Pose: This pose requires two partners and much skill. Get ready to cheer your friend in Dancer’s pose with one foot on the mat and the other in the subsequent hand.
- Cans to Heart Pose: This is the beer-ed version of the Namaskara position. Join your hands in prayer position with a beer can or bottle properly fitted between the palms. Stand straight on both feet or as you improvise, try on one foot.
The name differs from person to person and location to location as some call it by the original name, while others name it Drinking Yoga. Irrespective of what you label it, one thing is sure that the idea of Yoga with beer is already a huge hit, keeping in mind the popularity of Yoga and beer among the modern generation. Both individually are ruling the world and when they integrate, you expect nothing less than immense fun and sheer relaxation.