Yoga is a wider concept that is designed to safeguard the human body from ailments. It not only shapes up the body but also shapes up the life. Yoga postures or yoga asanas are of many types and each of them accommodates a host of health benefits. Setu Bandha Sarvangasana is a common yoga asana with its name driven from Sanskrit — Setu (Bridge) and Bandha (Lock). The posture is simple, but its benefits are enormous.
Setu Bandha Sarvangasana resembles the structure of a bridge and hence, is also named bridge pose. A person must practice it on a clear stomach and bowels. It is great to perform in the morning, but if practicing in the evening, make sure you have your meal at least 5-6 hours before.
What is Setu Bandha Sarvangasana?
Setu Bandha Sarvangasana is a common yoga asana with its name driven from Sanskrit — Setu (Bridge) and Bandha (Lock). The posture is simple, but its benefits are enormous. Setu Bandha Sarvangasana resembles the structure of a bridge and hence, is also named bridge pose. A person must practice it on a clear stomach. It is great to perform in the morning, but if practicing in the evening, make sure you have your meal at least 5-6 hours before.
Setu Bandha Sarvangasana is one of the most popular Yoga poses that is practiced by a wide range of Yoga lovers as well as health seekers across the world. This is a basic form of backbend Yoga exercise that prepares one for the higher level of Yoga asanas. The beauty of this pose is that it can be practiced for attaining a number of health goals, from physical to mental. The Bridge Pose is advised to be performed in empty stomach after removal of bowels because proper nourishment of the digestive system can only be done while digestive organs are not working.
Bridge Pose Benefits
Strengthens Muscles and Releases Tension: Bridge pose is a great way to strengthen the back, calf, and shoulder muscles, and also release stress and tension in the back and make it flexible.
Soothes Nervous System: The yoga posture works not only on the physical aspects but also works on the mind. It helps to prevent and reduce issues like stress, anxiety, and depression. Also, soothe the nervous system, calms the mind, and promotes healthy functioning of the brain.
Provides a Great Stretch: Bridge pose is considered to be a stretch provider to your back, spine, chest, and neck. It also opens up the lungs, chest, heart, and shoulders completely. People with neck injury and back problems must avoid this asana.
Benefits Women: Though this yoga asana is good for all, but when it comes to female-related issues, it works wonderfully. The asana alleviates menstrual pain and symptoms of menopause. It is also great for pregnant women. However, consulting the doctor and practicing under the guidance of a yoga instructor is highly recommended.
Improves Digestion: The asana massages the digestive system and helps to improve the process of digestion. It also clears bowel movement and regulates metabolism.
Other Benefits: Setu Bandha Sarvangasana reduces thyroid, aids in high blood pressure, insomnia, and sinusitis, prevents osteoporosis, and improves blood circulation. It also relieves fatigue, headache, and reduces blood pressure.
Setu Bandha Sarvangasana Steps:
This asana can be practiced anytime during the day. One thing should be kept in mind while doing the exercise- follow the steps properly and do not skip any of the following for avoiding injuries.
Have a look at the ideal sequence in which full Bridge Pose should be performed:
1. Begin with Savasana or Corpse Pose. Relax and enjoy a couple of deep breaths to put yourself in complete relaxation mode.
2. By bending your knees, place the feet on the mat in such a way that the lower legs make a right angle with the ground.
3. While performing the above step, take a deep breath and lift your back to a position that the upper legs become parallel to the ground by pushing the ground with the hands.
4. Keep all the body parts below the shoulder above the mat including pelvis and chest.
5. Now place your hands on the mat by intercrossing the fingers just below the buttock, which must be firm in the air.
6. Remain in that position for a couple of minutes or for the time you can hold before releasing slowly.
7. Make sure you continue to breathe while holding the position, for continuous breathing sponsor a fine circulation of blood throughout the body.
Setu Bandhasana Precautions:
Doctor’s consultation is recommended to all practitioners before you begin its regular practice. Apart from this, there are several measures of cautions that one must keep in mind while delving into the beauty of this pose:
1. People suffering from neck pain or any other neck problems should not try to perform this pose, since this may affect the region & deepen the issue.
2. Do not perform this asana just after having a meal.
3. Pregnant women are not advised to do this exercise. Although they can consult a health expert before attempting to practice this.
4. Make sure your feet are placed properly on the ground otherwise it can have a bad impact on the heel joints flexibility.
5. Avoid this asana if you have a backache.
Tips For The Practitioners
1. Though it is a simple and easy pose, as a beginner or a person with an injury or body limitations, one should always perform it under the supervision of a yoga expert or teacher.
2. Beginners must remember when they roll the shoulders to lift the upper back, they must do it slowly and not forcefully as it can overstretch your neck.
3. If an advanced level yogi wants to deepen the pose, they can try Eka Pada Setu Bandha Sarvangasana.
The yoga bridge pose is a great asana for the desk job workers; a simple asana with a whole lot of health benefits. Incorporate the pose into your daily workout regime and capture the magic it puts on your tired and stiff body.
Do not give extra pressure on the body to attain perfection in the practice. Begin as a newbie and take your time to accustom yourself to the physical exercise. In addition, make sure you take proper relaxation while undergoing a long session.