Yoga is a wider concept that is designed to safeguard the human body from ailments. It not only shapes up the body but also shapes up the life. Yoga postures or yoga asanas are of many types and each of them accommodates a host of health benefits. Setu Bandha Sarvangasana is a common yoga asana with its name driven from Sanskrit — Setu (Bridge) and Bandha (Lock). The posture is simple, but its benefits are enormous.
Setu Bandha Sarvangasana resembles the structure of a bridge and hence, is also named bridge pose. A person must practice it on a clear stomach and bowels. It is great to perform in the morning, but if practicing in the evening, make sure you have your meal at least 5-6 hours before.
Bridge Pose Benefits
Strengthens Muscles and Releases Tension– Bridge pose is a great way to strengthen the back, calf, and shoulder muscles, and also release stress and tension in the back and make it flexible.
Soothes Nervous System- The yoga posture works not only on the physical aspects but also works on the mind. It helps to prevent and reduce issues like stress, anxiety, and depression. Also, soothe the nervous system, calms the mind, and promotes healthy functioning of the brain.
Provides a Great Stretch– Bridge pose is considered to be a stretch provider to your back, spine, chest, and neck. It also opens up the lungs, chest, heart, and shoulders completely. People with neck injury and back problems must avoid this asana.
Benefits Women- Though this yoga asana is good for all, but when it comes to female-related issues, it works wonderfully. The asana alleviates menstrual pain and symptoms of menopause. It is also great for pregnant women. However, consulting the doctor and practicing under the guidance of a yoga instructor is highly recommended.
Improves Digestion- The asana massages the digestive system and helps to improve the process of digestion. It also clears bowel movement and regulates metabolism.
Other Benefits- Setu Bandha Sarvangasana reduces thyroid, aids in high blood pressure, insomnia, and sinusitis, prevents osteoporosis, and improves blood circulation. It also relieves fatigue, headache, and reduces blood pressure.
Setu Bandha Sarvangasana Steps
- Lie straight on your back on the floor.
- Then bend the knees and keep the feet flat on the floor.
- Press the arms on the floor and slowly lift the hips and back up from the floor.
- Now with the support of your hands and shoulders lift up the upper back.
- Hold the pose for at least 30-60 seconds.
Tips For The Practitioners
- Though it is a simple and easy pose, as a beginner or a person with an injury or body limitations, one should always perform it under the supervision of a yoga expert or teacher.
- Beginners must remember when they roll the shoulders to lift the upper back, they must do it slowly and not forcefully as it can overstretch your neck.
- If an advanced level yogi wants to deepen the pose, they can try Eka Pada Setu Bandha Sarvangasana.
The yoga bridge pose is a great asana for the desk job workers; a simple asana with a whole lot of health benefits. Incorporate the pose into your daily workout regime and capture the magic it puts on your tired and stiff body.