Living a hectic lifestyle, we all spend much of our time battling the challenges of the life, struggling with stress, and so much more. If you often experience bouts of sadness, negativity, and hopelessness, sometimes for inexplicable reasons, then my friend, you might be suffering from depression. Fighting depression can seem like a lifelong battle but yoga can help minimize the struggle.
Asanas (yoga postures) help counteract the depression as they reduce stress hormones ‘cortisol’ and ‘adrenaline’ and trigger the relaxation response. Once the rest-to-digest response kicks in, it helps people identify the psychological factors that give rise to anxiety and depression. The performance of yoga poses with attention to inhalation and exhalation cools the mind, burns the negative energy, and promotes a peaceful soul.
Here are Some of the Yoga Postures to Overcome Depression. Take a glance at the list below:
- Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana): Come on your fours. Set your wrists directly beneath your shoulders and knees under your hips. Align your head between your upper arms and curl your toes inward. Lift your knees off the floor and extend your legs behind. Elevate your hips towards the ceiling. Gaze at your navel. Hold this pose for 30-60 seconds.
- Inverted staff poses (Viparita Dandasana): Lie in a supine position on the ground. Bend your knees and place your heels close to the posterior. Interlock your fingers behind the head. Press the forearms into the floor to lift the head, shoulders, and hips. Straighten your arms and legs. The crown of the head should rest on the floor. Hold this posture for 60 seconds.
- Warriors II (Virabhadrasana II): Begin in Parvatasana. Spread your feet 2- 4 inches apart. Extend your arms to the side parallel to each other, shoulder blades wide, and palms down. Bring your right foot out and pivot your left foot inward. Exhale; bend the left knee over the left ankle. Stretch the right leg and press the right heel into the floor. Turn your head towards the left and look at your fingers. Remain in this posture for 30 seconds.
- Upward- Facing Dog (Urdhva Adho Mukha Svanasana): Lie on your stomach and spread your legs a few inches apart. Keep your hands on the floor alongside your lower ribs. As you breathe in, press the palms to raise your torso and legs 2-3 inches above the ground. Keep your thighs lifted. Slightly drop your head back and gaze at the ceiling. Hold this yoga pose for 20- 30 seconds.
- Standing Forward Fold Pose (Uttanasana): Stand upright on a yoga mat. If you wish then you can keep your feet hip-width apart. Inhale, stretch your arms overhead. Exhale, lean forward and hold the toes of your feet with your hands. Relax your neck and hold this posture for as long as you are comfortable.
- Child Pose (Balasana): Sit back with the hips resting on your heels and hands on your knees, palms down. Lower your stomach and chest towards the ground and rest your torso between the thighs. Place the forehead on the ground. Extend your arms behind and keep the palms in an upward direction. Take 4-5 deep inhalations and exhalations. Hold this pose for 20 seconds.
Practice these yoga postures to overcome depression every day and give a boost to the feel-good endorphins.